Thursday, March 16, 2006

Buy a (Virtual) Peerage!

I've been planning a substantive article on Lords reform at some point, but in the meantime, I've signed this at Pledgebank:
As an introductory offer, we are currently offering a 25% discount on all Virtual Peerages. But hurry - this offer must end on 22 March!
I'm not, actually, completely sold on a fully or predominantly elected Lords, I'd like us to build on the German Bundesrat model, combine it with the idea of experts drawn from interest groups and campaigning bodies, and get the rest via the old Athenian model; selection by Lot, draw people at random, from across society, in a set length term similar to Jury service but full time and paid for.

Yes, I know it sounds daft. Bear with me, when I've finished it off it'll be here and on Liberty Central. In the meantime, go sign up for a certificate of (in)authenticity. Update: Get them here. I especially like:
* The Elect the Lords campaign regrets that it cannot accept a loan as payment.

No comments: