Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Busy day in politics

So the government has just passed a total ban on smoking in public. Surely the repercussions will be far and wide, although it looked ever more likely after similar action in Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Privately, I think this can only be a good thing - I am not a smoker and few of my friends are, I will barely notice the ban. Publicly though, I do believe that it should have been up to the private clubs themselves whether they banned smoking on their premises or not. Banning it on the street and in pubs and clubs is one thing, in a more or less private club behind closed doors, well, I'm not sure that's the place for government legislation on health issues.

ID cards. Not compulsory, but if you want a passport, you will be receiving an ID card. I see where this is going. The best summation I've seen so far from Slashdot; "If you don't like it, you can't even leave the country." I guess we'll have to wait and see what the Lords say before it's all final; let's hope they come up with something special once again. Again, I will revel in the incredulity that is the British Public waiting on the House of Lords to protect their civil liberties...

Video of abuse in Iraq. Actually, I'm not going to say a lot here; I intent to let things run their course and we'll see in the long run whether the people involved are found guilty. It looks pretty damning at the minute though, I must confess.

Congratulations David Cameron - funniest tagline of the day regarding his wife going into "Labour". A lighter moment in the midst of all this doom and gloom. Bets on what it is going to be called?

Anyway, I'll write further later in the week. It's exasperating; you don't have anything to write about for a while, then three stories pop up all at once!

No comments: